Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Handpicked

I can see that God is working through this new devotional of mine. It is interesting how something written at a different time can relate so much to someone else. I have just started reading "Praying God's Word," and yesterday's reading was a perfect devotional/prayer of how I want to start off my 25th year. And today's, while such a great reminder to me, was a source of encouragement for a friend of mine.
Have you ever been longing to find the right words to say to a friend who is hurting, and you just aren't able? Maybe your mind goes blank, or you actually say what is on your heart and it ends up hurting your friend more. Praise God when He holds our tongues to our own words and allows us to share His word. One of my friends has been going through a rough several months as her mother has been in and out of the hospital. Soon her mom will need brain surgery, and months of out-patient therapy. Needless to say, it is all wearing on my friend. She is tired, weary, and just...burnt out. Every time her phone rings she has to wonder if it is another call to pick up her mother from the hospital, or to take her to the hospital. The level of stress she is constantly feeling is something I cannot relate to. While her faith is strong, she still asks God where He is right now and what He is doing.
So today, I shared with her my devotional, in hopes that it would bring encouragement. "Help me, Lord God, to know beyond a shadow of doubt that in all things You work for the good of those who love You, those who have been called according to Your purpose (Rom. 8:28). Please help me to see the condition in that promise. You are not obligated to work all things together for good for those who neither love You nor are called according to Your purpose. You obligate Yourself to this awesome promise when I offer You my aching heart and commit myself and my suffering to Your good purposes. If I do, You will do more with my life than I could ever conceive (1 Cor. 2:9)."
I thank God for the moment of this day that He allowed me to share this with my friend and bring her encouraging words and a time of peace. God does work everything for good, for those of us who love Him and are called according to His purpose. He is with her every step of this trial. And He is with each of us during our trials too. I praise Him for that!
I pray that I learn more and more how to pray His word as I seek intimacy with my Saviour. Be blessed today, and thank you for sharing this with me!

--Inspired by "Praying God's Word," Beth Moore.

No comments:

Post a Comment