Friday, July 23, 2010

Dare 9

Alright, after much waiting and anticipating, I am finally to dare 9! I started back over in "The Love Dare" so that my husband and I could walk the journey together. We have successfully made it through the first 8 dares and are looking forward to the challenges ahead...
"Greet one another with a kiss of love." -1 Peter. 5:14
You can tell a lot about a person's relationship with another by how they greet. If I'm happy to see someone, I give them a big hug and tell them how glad I am that we were able to get together. Back when Zane and I first started dating, we greeted each other with such excitement. The smile he had on his face...it was beautiful! I always knew how much he wanted to be around me, and how much he loved me, by that Harrison Ford smile--you know the one...almost a half smile, curled up on one edge. Check out any Harrison Ford movie and you will see the smile I'm talking about:)
Zane had that same unbelievable smile when he arrived back from his business trip and saw me waiting for him at the airport. It assured me of his longing for me, that I was of such value, and that he had missed me terribly.
I don't know if there is anything in particular that Zane appreciated about me when I would see him for the first time. However, I did ask him how I could greet him 'better,' assuring him of my love and how much I value him being here. He said he would love it if I would give him a big hug when I see him, and huge smile.
Greetings go a long way. Much further than you'd think! Unfortunately, during the routine of our lives we forget to give each other that smile and gentle reassurance of our affections. I suppose we may think it isn't really that important...maybe we don't think about it at all: the first thing you say to him or to her when you wake up in the morning, the look on your face when you get in the car, the energy in your voice when you speak on the telephone. But here's something else you probably don't stop to consider--the difference it would make in your spouse's day if everything about you expressed the fact that you were really, really glad to see them.
"When someone communicates that they are glad to see you, your personal sense of self-worth increases. You feel more important and valued. That's because a good greeting sets the stage for positive and healthy interaction. Like love, it puts wind in your sails."
I almost wish our first dare had been on this. It is something that I think will improve any and all marriages. So yesterday, when I went to pick up Zane from work, I was all set to get out of the car and give him a big hug. My phone rings...it is a friend whose family member just passed away. At that moment, Zane gets to the car with a big smile on his face...successfully completing the dare. I smile real big back, but am unable to get out and give him a hug before he got in the car. So today, I will try again!
This is the greeting I long for my Father in heaven to give me one day: "While he was still a long way off, his father saw him and felt compassion for him, and ran and embraced him and kissed him." --Luke 15:20
Dare 9: Think of a specific way you'd like to greet your spouse today. Do it with a smile and with enthusiasm. Then determine to change your greeting to reflect your love for them.
Dare 8: Celebrate your spouse's achievements and qualities.
Dare 7: Pick a positive trait in your spouse and thank them for it. (Believe the best!)
Dare 6: Don't be irritable.
Dare 5: Don't be rude.
Dare 4: Be thoughtful.
Dare 3: Be selfless.
Dare 2: Be kind.
Dare 1: Be patient.

--Inspired by "The Love Dare."

No comments:

Post a Comment