Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Dare 6

Good morning, friends! I hope you had a wonderful Independence Day! I had a wonderful time with family celebrating freedom, independence, and our indisputable rights. However, because I was with Zane the whole weekend, and he has yet to find out that I am going through "The Love Dare," I was unable to break away and keep you posted on each dare. So, after 2 days to consciously reject rudeness, I am ready to inform you of what I do that aggravates Zane.
I know I was supposed to find out 3 things about me that annoy my dear husband, but he was simply too kind to tell me. It took me annoying him for him to finally confess some nuisances he has. And, I only got 2. So, 1) He does not appreciate it when he asks me to do something and then I don't do it. I suppose I could take that as being more submissive...which I most definitely can be more (part of honoring my husband is doing what he will have me do), but Zane did not mean that in a "I'm master, You're slave" sort of way. He told me this characteristic annoys him because Frisbee (our little dog) was on the bed, he was telling her to get down, and I was trying to get her to stay. The whole time we were laughing, letting me know he wasn't serious about the previous annoyance; however, I am going to honor him more by obeying the first time...and working with him, not against him. 2)He doesn't like it when I sing bad on purpose. Sometimes, I purposely start singing several octaves higher than the song calls for, in an operatic voice, and change the words of the song a bit in an effort to make fun of the lyrics. I do that too often in the car, and when I do, he is with me...it is rather loud and obnoxious. I suppose looking back on times when I do that--it IS pretty annoying! I'm surprised I don't get on my own nerves singing like that. So, I will stop:)
So, for Dare 6:
"He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit, than he who captures a city." Proverbs 16:32
Love is not irritable. This Dare is a little difficult for me to grasp. I understand that the deeper I love, the slower to anger I will be, the more kind I will be, and yes, less irritable because I will understand things from Zane's perspective, instead of only my own. However, I think that no matter how much I love Zane, or how much he loves me, at some point, we will irritate each other. Hopefully this dare will make me more aware of my actions enabling me to think ahead and ask myself, "could this be irritable," and if the answer is yes, choose a different action.
I'm going to pull out a few quotes from the book for me and you to be able to read, and re-read if need be. Hopefully, this will help us all to be less irritable, and more loving.
"A loving wife is not overly sensitive or cranky but exercises emotional self-control. She chooses to be a flower among the thorns and respond pleasantly during prickly situations...Two key reasons cause irritability. 1) Stress weighs you down and invites you to be cranky...life is a marathon, not a sprint. Slow down and balance, prioritize, and pace yourself...Let love guide your relationships...maintain a "Sabbath," a day of worship and rest...recharge, refocus, and add breathing room. 2)Selfishness--when you're irritable, it is a problem of the heart...being easily angered is an indicator that a hidden area of selfishness or insecurity is present where love is supposed to rule...when love enters your heart, it calms you down and inspires you to quit focusing on yourself."
While it is really difficult, and perhaps painful, I invite you to look into your own lives, as I will look into mine, and find ways that you are irritable--less than pleasant to be around. Let's focus on being a calming breeze rather than a storm waiting to happen.
Today's Dare: React in tough circumstances in loving ways instead of iritations.
Yesterday's Dare: Don't be rude.
Dare 4: Be thoughtful.
Dare 3: Be selfless.
Dare 2: Be kind.
Dare 1: Be patient.

--Inspired by The Love Dare, by Kendrick.

1 comment:

  1. Hopefully in a few weeks Grumperson will be outof my system and I will be able to focus more on non-irritably loving my husband!!

    ReplyDelete