Sunday, July 18, 2010

Cords

Welcome! I hope you are having a great weekend. It has gone by so fast! Yesterday, I had the honor of being in a wedding, and watching two young people commit to love and cherish each other for the rest of the lives. They are both runners, and were encouraged to view marriage as endurance running. Not a sprint. To remember times during a race when their side may hurt, and they want to give up--not knowing if the finish line is even worth it. Why had they signed up for this?!...But then, their body kicks into gear and realizes that it can finish, and as their teammates are running with them, the sound of their feet thud together, as if one person, rather than a group of runners. How beautiful that is...and how worth it?! Just like there will be times in their marriage that they will not want to finish, and wonder what they have gotten themselves into...but as they endure it, and begin running together, they will learn how to be one voice, and grow in love of each other more and more. I thought the pastor did an incredible job tying in his message with who the bride and groom are.
Yesterday's prayer went perfectly with marriage, and how easy it can be to lose sight of the needs of your spouse... and to lose sight of the perfect love, our Saviour. "We can be led astray by the cords of an evil yoke, or we can be led to victory by the cords of divine love." (Moore) I choose divine love! I once did a study on how a christian can be trapped in sin, how easy it is to get tangled in Satan's webs. I don't know if you have ever experienced a time when you were so trapped you didn't know if you could ever get yourself out. That is one of the hardest places to be. And in my life, when I completely lost myself to the ways of the world, I got to a point of total surrender. Finally realizing that I can do nothing without Christ. And I didn't want to. I wanted Him with me, walking every step with me. Guiding me.
So, here is a little of yesterday's prayer, and one that we as Christians would do well to pray daily: "Who is my God, except for You, Lord? And who is my Rock except for my God? It is You, God, who arms me with strength and makes my way perfect. You make my feet like the feet of a deer; You enable me to stand on the heights. You train my hands for battle."
Spend some time reading God's promises. Psalm 18:31-36, and 18: 39-40. Have a beautiful evening.

--Inspired by "Praying God's Word," Beth Moore.

No comments:

Post a Comment