Good afternoon! I hope you have had a good first part of the week. I keep meaning to go by this restaurant in downtown Athens and buy some of their Mint Green Tea, but have yet to do so! Ever since I tried it, normal Green Tea just has not...well, hit the same spot. The problem is, I cannot remember what the restaurant was called!!!
In the last entry I spoke of my desire to be Obsessed with Christ. I hope He is drawing me closer to Him and completely taking over my mind. I shared a lot from Crazy Love and was hoping you would be okay with me sharing a bit more. I just wanted to share with you the examples Frances Chan gave in his book on what being obsessed with Christ would and should look like. Without further ado:
1) People who are obsessed with Jesus give freely and openly, without censure. Obsessed people love those who hate them and who can never love them back.
2) People who are obsessed with Jesus aren't consumed with their personal safety and comfort above all else. Obsessed people care more about God's kingdom coming to this earth than their own lives being shielded from pain or distress.
3) People who are obsessed with Jesus live lives that connect them with the poor in some way or another. Obsessed people believe that Jesus talked about money and the poor so often because it was really important to Him (1 John 2:4-6; Matt. 16:24-26.)
4) Obsessed people are more concerned with obeying God than doing what is expected or fulfilling the status quo. A person who is obsessed with Jesus will do things that don't always make sense in terms of success or wealth on this earth. As Martin Luther put it, "There are two days on my calendar: this day and that day" (Luke 14:25-35; Matt. 7:13-23; 8: 18-22;
5) A person who is obsessed with Jesus knows that the sin of pride is always a battle. Obsessed people know that you can never be 'humble enough,' and so they seek to make themselves less known and Christ more known (Matt. 5:16).
6) People who are obsessed with Jesus do not consider service a burden. Obsessed people take joy in loving God by loving His people (Matt 13:44; John 15:8).
7) People who are obsessed with God are known as givers, not takers. Obsessed people genuinely think that others matter as much as they do, and they are particularly aware of those who are poor around the world (James 2:14-26).
8) A person who is obsessed thinks about heaven frequently. Obsessed people orient their lives around eternity; they are not fixed only on what is here in front of them.
9: A person who is obsessed is characterized by committed, settled, passionate love for God, above and before every other thing and every other being.
10) People who are obsessed are raw with God; they do not attempt to mask the ugliness of their sins or their failures. Obsessed people don't put it on for God; He is their safe place, where they can be at peace.
11) People who are obsessed with God have an intimate relationship with Him. They are nourished by God's Word throughout the day because they know that forty minutes on Sunday is not enough to sustain them for a whole week, especially when they will encounter so many distractions and alternative messages.
12) A person who is obsessed with Jesus is more concerned with his or her character than comfort. Obsessed people know that true joy doesn't depend on circumstances or environment; it is a gift that must be chosen and cultivated, a gift that ultimately comes from God
13) A person who is obsessed with Jesus knows that the best thing he can do is be faithful to his Saviour in every aspect of his life, continually saying "Thank You!" to God. An obsessed person knows there can never be intimacy if he is always trying to pay God back or work hard enough to be worthy. He revels in his role as child and friend of God.
I am His child! So often I forget that. I want to tell God what I think His plan should be, instead of sitting at His feet and saying, 'Father, what will You be teaching me today. How can I submit to Your perfect will?' Even typing those words seems hard for me to do. I know that far too often I want Him to come along side of my wants and desires rather than the other way around.
Friends, I have a long way to go to get to complete and total obsession. But, I can honestly say, I feel more captivated by Him than I ever have and I long to be closer to Him. More of a child to my Father. Less known and Him more known. Live His will. Forget my will.
To God be the glory. All glory. All honor. All praise.