Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Example

It is such a beautiful day outside! I am loving the blue skies after several days of gloomy darkness. I hope you are enjoying your day and are filled with many moments of joy!
I just wanted to share a personal moment I had last night while talking with my little brother on the telephone. I am not sure if he meant to bless me and show me Christ...but he did, so I am going to share it with you! Yesterday, J-boy (my nickname for the best little brother in the world) had his 21st birthday. Time flies, doesn't it? I'm pretty sure my mother teared up a few times just thinking of him as a baby and how quickly he grew into track star and college kid. After playing phone tag all day, we finally were able to talk right before I went to bed. He was letting me know all he was doing for his birthday, and that he and his girlfriend were on their way to pick up some sparkling grape juice. So, I asked him: "Grape Juice? Why not wine? You are 21 now..." His response was priceless, and so mature! He may drink wine one day, but for now, while in school (he attends Lipscomb) and being surrounded by people who may look up to him, he does not want to do anything that may cause someone else to stumble.
Think about that for a moment. How many 21 year olds do you know that would NOT drink on their 21st birthday because other people may be watching and it could cause someone else to stumble. I am not saying my little brother has it all together. But I was filled with such joy when he told me that! It was so encouraging! And, something that we all would do well to consider. What things in our life do we participate in without any thought, that may cause someone to stumble? What can we ask God to change in our lives to make us more like Christ. More like an example to follow, and less like someone who fits in?
"Therefore let us not pass judgment on one another any longer, but rather decide never to put a stumbling block or hindrance in the way of a brother. I know and am persuaded in the Lord Jesus that nothing is unclean in itself, but it is uncelan for anyone who thinks it unclean. For if your brother is grieved by what you eat, you are no longer walking in love. By what you eat, do not destroy the one for whom Christ died. So do not let what you regard as good be spoken of as evil. For the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking but of righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit. Whoever thus serves Christ is acceptable to God and approved by men. So then let us pursue what makes for peace and for mutual upbuilding. Do not, for the sake of food, destroy the work of God. Everything is indeed clean, but it is wrong for anyone to make another stumble by what he eats. It is good not to eat meat or drink wine or do anything that causes your brother to stumble. The faith that you have, keep between yourself and God. Blessed is the one who has no reason to pass judgement on himself for what he approves. But whoever has doubts is condemned if he eats, because the eating is not from faith. For whatever does not proceed from faith is sin." Romans 14:13-23 (ESV).
Have an incredibly blessed day, and I hope our actions are done today while abiding in Christ and following His perfect, pure, and holy example.

1 comment:

  1. I am studying Romans in my devotions and just read that passage this morning! What a challenge to live a selfless life! So proud of Jonathan!

    ReplyDelete