Friday, April 23, 2010

Better Than

How has your evening been? Joyous? Calm? I'm so glad you have decided to stop by! It is too late for me to have my cup of hot tea...because it is caffeinated and I plan on waking up early on my Saturday morning to listen to Beth Moore. That is right! She is coming to Atlanta so I will be sitting in at a satellite location, listening to her for some rough 8 hrs tomorrow. Yes, I am excited! And yes, I will take notes and fill you in.
Have you heard Amy Grant's latest single, "Better than a Hallelujah?" I love the words in that song. While the music is not quite what I enjoy most, the words are really deep. Her song is filled with explaining the simple notion that sometimes pouring out the longings of our heart are better than a hallelujah. I cannot tell you how many times friends have told me that something important to them is not worth bothering God about. Or, they haven't prayed about it yet, but maybe they will later...if it is still bothering them. Friends, I have said those same things! Sometimes matters seem too trivial to us and we want God to focus on more 'important' things. While I understand our reasoning behind it, God longs for us to tell Him everything. In fact, we experience intimacy with Christ when we are abiding in Him. Do you know what that means? That means remaining in constant prayer...and yes, pouring out our desires, our pains, our longings...laying our burdens down. Sometimes, basking in the silence of God's presence and waiting to hear Him.
I am not saying to forget raising your hands and lifting up a hallelujah to our Saviour! Please, do not misunderstand me. "The Lord is a strong hold for the oppressed, a stronghold in times of trouble. And those who know Your name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You" Psalms 9:9-10 (ESV). That is reason enough to lift up your praises while laying your burdens down. Jesus will never leave you or forsake you. He promises us that! (DT 31:6 and Heb 13:5.) But please, be assured, your troubles, and your joys, are never so minimal that our Father does not want to hear about them.
I will leave you with the lyrics from the song and would love for you to pay attention to them. Let them bless your heart!
God loves a lullaby in a mother's tears in the dead of night better than a hallelujah sometimes. God loves the drunkard's cry; the soldiers plea not to let him die, better than a hallelujah sometimes. The woman holding onto life, the dying man giving up the fight, are better than a hallelujah sometimes. The tears of shame for what's been done, the silence when the words won't come, are better than a hallelujah sometimes. Better than a church bell ringing. Better than a choir singing. We pour out our miseries and God just hears a melody. Beautiful the mess we are, the honest cries of breaking hearts...are better than a hallelujah.

Be blessed dear friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment