Monday, August 23, 2010

Dare 28

"He laid down His life for us. We should also lay down our lives for our brothers." -1 John 3:16
With all the pain and suffering Christ went through on the cross, and bearing His own Father's disgrace because the sin upon Him (our sin) was too much to look on, (which that time away from the Father was far worse than any nail hammered through), how much easier it is for us to sacrifice for our spouse. Yet, how rarely we choose to do so.
When life is hard for me, I notice immediately. I may ask people to pray, I may grab a gallon of ice cream, but I most certainly notice and take a moment or two to throw a pity-party. When my husband (who is as laid back as they come) is having a bad day though, I don't always notice immediately. He may take me a while. In fact, just last night at Biblestudy he asked our Life Group to pray for him, that he would not become discouraged by the lack of believers in his grad program, or the unwillingness for them to learn who Jesus is. That prayer request shocked me. Not because he cared for the people he attends classes with, but because he had become discouraged last year. I had no idea! It hurt me a little to realize perhaps I hadn't been there for him, or hadn't paid enough attention to see that burden. Kendrick states that "love doesn't have to be jarred awake by your mate's obvious signs of distress...it sees the weight beginning to pile up and it steps in to help...love wants you to be sensitive to your spouse...it keeps you so tuned in to what your spouse needs that you often respond without being asked...love inspires you to say 'no' to what you want, in order to say 'yes' to what your spouse needs."
Reading that makes me see that I wasn't aware enough of Zane's weight that was beginning to pile up on him. Which does not give me reason to drown in self-pity and dash my hopes of ever being a good wife. My love for Zane tells me to pick myself up and turn my attention to his needs, so that I can seek to be more aware, and more eager to listen! Love tells me to make sacrifices of myself, so that I can give more to Zane. (Read Matthew 25:35-36.) Zane needs to see that I truly care about him and what ever burden he is dealing with, I earnestly want to help lift. Our spouse needs to know that we are always willing to pray with and for them and that we will follow up. By following up, we show that we care--not to mention that we were listening in the first place.
While this isn't a Christian song, it perfectly wraps up what this dare was saying:
If you were falling then I would catch you.
You need a light? I'd find a match.
If you are chilly, here. Take my sweater.
Your head is aching? I'll make it better.
I'll buy you rogaine when you start losing all your hair.
I'll sew on patches to all you tear.
Cause I love you more than I could ever promise.
And you take me the way I am. -Ingrid Michaelson
"Lives that have been raised from death by Jesus' sacrifice should be ready and willing to make daily sacrifices to meet the needs of others" (Kendrick).
Dare 28: Whether the need is big or small, purpose to do whatever you can to meet a need of your spouse that is burdening them.
Dare 27: Encourage.
Dare 26: Seek forgiveness.
Dare 25: Forgive freely.
Dare 24: Kill lust.
(For previous dares, refer to earlier entries)

--Inspired by, "The Love Dare."

No comments:

Post a Comment