Friday, August 13, 2010

Dare 21

Good morning! I am so sorry I have been lazy in keeping you updated with the love dares. You will hear about them all...but you may receive a few a day so I can get caught up to where I am. My hubby and I are actually at Dare 28--yes, I am THAT behind!
"The Lord will continually guide you, and satisfy your desire." --Isaiah 58:11
Love is satisfied in God. If anything is true, that statement is. Too often we look to people and things to satisfy us. While it may seem that at times we are completely satisfied in our friends, our spouse, our finances, those things do not last forever...and do not give the impression of satisfying us forever. At some point, we are let down. This is a fault of mine--not just looking to Zane for satisfaction, but refusing to believe he is human when he lets me down....I have this fairy-tale image in my head of him being Eric (The little Mermaid was my favorite...so I want an Eric, not a Prince Charming or Aladdin), when in reality, he is Zane. Beautiful Zane. Full of love, kindness, and all the little things that make him human. And let's be honest, no matter what I think or what I do, I CANNOT find my satisfaction in him. In fact, it is only harmful to our marriage for me to try. It sets unrealistic expectations for him to live up to, and prevents me from seeking satisfaction in Jesus. And only when I do that am I free to truly love my husband. "Nothing in your toolbox of talents and resources can repair the damage that sin leaves, and Jesus is the only One who can supply what you've been missing...His wisdom, grace, and power are to be released into everything you do. Including, not the least, your marriage."
God alone can give inner peace: "Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." Phil. 4:6-7.
God alone brings contentment: "In any and every circumstance I have learned the secret of being filled...I can do all things through Him who strengthens me." Phil. 4:12-13.
Only God can supply our needs...but He wants us to receive them His way: "My God will supply all your needs according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus." Phil. 4:19.
And humbly, I shamefully admit that "(my) only reason for not 'seeking satisfaction in Him' is because we really don't trust God to supply what we need."
Do you recall the story of the woman at the well? "What He offered her was a drink of soul satisfaction that never quits giving and refreshing. And that is what's available to you each morning at sunrise and each night before bed, no matter who your spouse is or what they've done to you. God is your everyday supply. Of everything you need.
Dare 21: Be intentional about reading your Bible. Make a time to read and pray. As you do, immerse yourself in the love and promises God has for you. This will add to your growth as you walk with Him. (Proverbs is a GREAT book to start in. 31 chapters for 31 days of the month. Full of wisdom!!!)
Dare 20: Commit to love Jesus, so you can love your spouse.
Dare 19: Pray for God to change your heart.
Dare 18: Study each other.
Dare 17: Promote intimacy.
Dare 16: Love intercedes.
(For previous dares, please refer to earlier blogs.)

--Inspired by "The Love Dare"

No comments:

Post a Comment