Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Dare 15

"Live with your wives in an understanding way...and show her honor as a fellow heir of the grace of life." --1 Peter 3:7
Love is honorable. When I first read that title, I knew immediately I need to work on this. I know I've said that before, but showing honor to my husband is something I lack when I don't get my way. While reading this book, I have become more and more aware of how selfish I am...and how blessed I am to have a husband that loves me despite my never-ending flaws. Oh, how I love Zane...I need to learn to show it!
"To honor someone means to give them respect and high esteem, to treat them as being special and of great worth...be courteous and polite...honoring your mate means giving him or her full attention, not talking to them from behind a newspaper or with one eye on the television...Your spouse matters--and because of the way you treat them, they should know it."
While Zane and I were reading this I stopped him right there, and asked if he knew that I honored him. That I respected him. He said yes...but I know deep down I can do a better job! I just pray that God will work in my heart and make me more and more selfless each day so that I can show my love for my husband more...so that our love can grow!
Something interesting about this particular love dare is learning to view our spouse as holy. I know, I re-read that, thinking only God is holy. But in actuality, God is calling us to holiness as His children. Let me paraphrase: holiness doesn't mean that Zane is perfect, or that he views me as perfect. It means that we are set apart in each other's eyes for a higher purpose--no longer common or everyday but special and unique. We have a place in each other's heart that no one can rival. We honor, praise, and defend each other. Just like a bride takes special care of her gown, setting it aside for her big day, handling it with care, feeling beautiful in it and seeing it as beautiful...Zane and I should treat each other the same.
Even though it may be hard to always honor each other, it is not about doing so when it is easy. True love loves regardless of circumstances, changes, and feelings. It chooses to love. "Love honors even when it's rejected. Love treats its beloved as special and sacred even when an ungrateful attitude is all you get in return...love dares to say 'of all the relationships I have, I will value ours the most. Of all the things I'm willing to sacrifice, I will sacrifice the most for you. With all your failures, sins, mistakes, and faults--past and present--I still choose to love and honor you.' That's how you create an atmosphere for love to be rekindled. That's how you lead your heart to truly love your mate again. And that's the beauty of honor."
Dare 15: Choose a way to show honor and respect that is above your normal routine. Okay, this may seem silly to you, but Zane and I did so by going to Waffle House with one another. We fell in love with each other during 'study groups' at IHop and Waffle House. We thought a great way to show our love and how much we esteem our relationship would be by 'dating' like we once did, and rekindling the romance from the beginning. Haha..you may say Waffle House isn't romantic, but it holds a very special place in our hearts.
Dare 14: Delight in each other.
Dare 13: Fight fair.
Dare 12: Let the other win.
Dare 11: Cherish each other.
Dare 10: Love unconditionally.
Dare 9: Greet well.
Dare 8: Don't be jealous.
Dare 7: Believe the best.
Dare 6: Don't be irritable.
Dare 5: Don't be rude.
Dare 4: Be thoughtful.
Dare 3: Be selfless.
Dare 2: Be kind.
Dare 1: Be patient.

--Inspired by "The Love Dare."

No comments:

Post a Comment