Monday, June 14, 2010

Song

Good afternoon, friends! I hope you had a very relaxing weekend. I sure did, though it went by extremely fast. My husband and I enjoyed eating blackberries in our back yard, giving the dogs a bath, going on a date and eating Thai, and many other things.
If you have been following my blog for a while, then you have probably figured out I love songs. Lyrics can be written in the most perfect way...it is true. I could never explain God's grace in a way better than it is explained in 'Amazing Grace.' Nor could I praise God through pain and explain it to you in a way more clear than 'It is Well.' My soul comes alive to hymns. Far too often I feel like something inside me is about to just jump out of me. I suppose that is the extreme desire to be closer to Christ...to be with Him...to be with my Father. What a glorious day that will be!
So, today I will share with you a song. This song has such a way of convicting me. Of humbling me. Though it is not a hymn, it is so powerful and shows our need to rely on God and to seek Him for wisdom. Seek Him for security. For love. For meaning. For everything. After all, what do I know of holy? I am a sinner. Unrighteous. Needy. And saved. But always in need of more Jesus. Always in need of less me.
I made You promises a thousand times
I tried to hear from heaven, But I talked the whole time
I think I made You too small
I never feared You at all, no
If You touched my face would I know You?
Looked into my eyes, could I behold You?
I guess I thought I had figured You out
I knew all the stories and I learned to talk about how You were mighty to save
Those were only empty words on a page
Then I caught a glimpse of who You might be
The slightest hint of You brought me down to my knees
What do I know of You who spoke me into motion?
Where have I even stood but the shore along Your ocean?
Are You fire? Are You fury?
Are You sacred? Are You beautiful?
What do I know? What do I know of Holy?
--Addison Road

I remember the very moment that the stories of God were no longer words upon a page. I remember being brought to my knees, feeling dumbfounded by the idea of Him being so close and me not caring. Me not surrendering. I remember how overwhelming it was when I realized I did not have a clue of holy. And how complete I felt when His grace and mercy embraced me. How precious did that grace appear the hour I first believed! I never will forget that moment. His unconditional love.
I hope this song speaks to you. I pray these words will resonate so deep within us that we understand we cannot grasp the depth of Christ. We cannot begin to imagine how great He is. Our minds try to enclose Him, but it is impossible. He is Holy. He is all sufficient. He is to be feared. And He is mighty to save.
What do we know of holy?

No comments:

Post a Comment