Thursday, July 19, 2012

Blinded by 50 Shades of Gray

First, let me say I have no interest in reading this book.  The eye is the light to the rest of your body, and as a Christian, I must guard what I see.  When you read, your mind is forced to imagine what your eye is comprehending, and I firmly believe this book has no place in the life of a Christian.  

Since becoming a mother, I have become more aware as to how my actions can give approval, even if I don't necessarily mean to.  For example, I have no problem with 2-pieces, or bikinis, BUT I don't want a mother who does have a problem with her daughter wearing a 2-piece to hear, "But Mrs. Seals, (or But Emmie, Miss Emmie, etc) wore one.  Why can't I?!"

After having a brief moment of 'judging' those who are reading, or have read, this book, I heard, "Emmie, pull the log out of your own eye."  I looked over to the left where Zane and I have well over 300 DVDs.  Most of our DVDs I won't mind our children watching once they are at a certain age.  But some of them, I never want our children to watch.  Not even once they are 18.  I started going through them, row by row, and have found 16 that need to be gotten rid of.  Goodnesss, I can't believe these are in my house!  In fact, it makes me wonder what else I am giving approval to that I am not quite aware of.

So this is a call to not only hold me accountable for my actions, but also to remember who you are.  If you are a Christian, you are a child of the Living God.  We need to live differently and pay attention to what we are putting in our lives.  We are to shine for Christ.  Are you?  Am I?  

"The eye is the lamp of the body.  So, if your eye is healthy, your whole body will be full of light, but if your eye is bad, your whole body will be full of darkness.  If then the light in you is darkness, how great is the darkness!"  Matthew 6:22-23

1 comment:

  1. we too had hundreds of movies and about a year ago now, i guess, God really laid it on our hearts to get rid of most of them. all of them weren't even necessarily bad, but they just didn't need to be in our home (or anyone's home!). i've been more and more convicted here lately of the things i take in. no more trash! we're called to a higher standard! we need to look different than the world!

    ReplyDelete